Deadlock prevention in Operating system is more preventive and conservative.
If you are not familiar with deadlock in computer science, you must see the post Deadlock in Operating System: Things that You Must Know about It.
We take care of eliminating any of deadlock causing condition:
1. Circular wait:
Processes form the cycle of waiting relationship.
2. Hold and wait:
Processes hold up resources which they have and w8 on resources they want.
3. No Preemption:
Once, a process is in execution it is not preempted.
4. Mutual Exclusion:
When a process is executing on a variable no other process can access that variable.
Now for deadlock prevention what we do is don’t let our system to do anyone of this.
You may like to read : NP Problem Stepwise
In this, we look every single resource request and decide whether to allow that request.
Now take an example of protection from viral through water
In the scenario like deadlock prevention, we would not let one to drink water.
In scenario of deadlock avoidance, we would first filter out water
So in clear cut words deadlock prevention is more preventive and conservative. Conservative in the way that, it would decrease the power of the system by not allowing mutual exclusion., etc
Incoming search terms:
- difference between deadlock prevention and deadlock avoidance
- deadlock prevention and avoidance
- deadlock prevention vs avoidance
- difference between deadlock avoidance and prevention
- difference between deadlock prevention and avoidance
- what is the difference between deadlock prevention an deadlock avoidense
- difference between deadlock avoidance and deadlock prevention
- difference between prevention and avoidance
- what is deadlock prevention and avoidance